Movies have been the cornerstone of dates for centuries, and for good reason: who doesn’t love popping in a flick and cozying up to a significant other? But to icebreak an initial rendezvous or comfort a cuddly couple, the right date night movie must be chosen. And while a common misconception is that romance is only found in “romantic” films — the list below if proof that that’s simply not true. Having any one of these nine flicks in your back pocket will give you supreme confidence the next time you hear “it’s your choice” from your date.
1. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: An undeniable chemistry between Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey sets the mood for this choice right off the bat. Filled with the right mix of funny and corny, this rom-com is an easy watch that partners well with take-out.
2. Pay it Forward: Emotions run high in this deep film about a young boy assigned a seemingly impossible assignment for school. When an unlikely love story blossoms, you’ll begin to hold your date closer and closer.
3. Serendipity: Just as the name suggests, this movie provides a pleasant surprise for both guys and girls. Serendipity is a fairytale flick reminding us that anything can happen — and who doesn’t love that on a date?
4. The Break-Up: Judging from its title, it doesn’t sound like much fun — but hilarious banter between Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn will leave you and your date laughing long after the final scene. Despite the movie’s subject matter, its message reminds us to not take love for granted.
5. Paranormal Activity: Whether you’re already coexisting or hoping to spend the night, this movie will make your date not want to spend the night alone. Noises in the night are a lot less threatening when there’s someone else around to cuddle with.
6. A Walk to Remember: Tear-jerker alert! A Walk To Remember provides an emotional rollercoaster reminding us that life is too short to not love, and even bad boys can find their hearts when they find the right girl. If you’re looking to pull feelings out of your date, this’ll do it.
7. Edward Scissorhands: Who doesn’t love this film? Tim Burton’s masterfully directed dark fantasy is capable of charming any type of person. Meanwhile, Johnny Depp’s gentle character and the unusual love story he’s involved in are impossible not to love.
8. Jerry Maguire: fuck buddy love the bravado of sports agent Jerry Maguire, and ladies can relate to his down-to-earth romantic interest, but the love story is what makes this a date night classic. Plus, dozens of memorable quotes make this great for repeat viewings!
9. He’s Just Not That Into You: Based on the self-help book of the same name, He’s Just Not That Into You provides a perfect mix of hilarity and romance. It opens the door to funny stories and thoughtful late night conversations for both couples and new love interests alike. But the fluid plot doesn’t require much concentration, so you’ll be able to concentrate on other priorities as you “watch”…